02-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #43
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
It's simple- is the offered residual higher than what you think the depreciated selling price of the car (minus the acquisition fee) will be in 3 years?

Of course, that depends on the model, current incentives, etc. But from time to time, BMW inflates residuals to move cars, making the 'put' option your long in the lease worth more than the $725-925 you'll pay to lease.

If at the end of the lease the car is worth less than the residual (and you want to keep it), you may be able to negotiate a purchase price below the residual, leaving BMW to deal with a bit of depreciation that would have otherwise been yours (had you purchased at the outset). If it's worth more (and you want to keep it), you can purchase at the residual.

Further, given the relatively high % of leased BMWs, BMW will often incentivize lease conversion by offering deals on extended maintenance/CPO.

Your real question is "why do people acquire cars more frequently than every 10 years?". Who knows.

For me, I buy, rather than lease, because I tend to turn over cars every 12-18 months. It's a vice- for sure, but I'm an enthusiast.
Interesting point. If I may ask, do you find any equity in the vehicle after that short time frame or do you take a loss each time. I assume it's the former but I always seemed to get screwed when I try to do the same.
Appreciate 0