07-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
Well, I picked her up last night. And, before everyone jumps all over me for pictures... I'm a pretty serious photographer and will get some good pictures up here of the new baby, just didn't have time yet!

I assume this is one of the last 2014's that will ever be built. Ordered 6/13/2014, delivered 6/31/2014 to my dealer in South Florida. Final price was about 1K over invoice.

x35d
M sport
Mineral White
Mocha Nappa design package
Fineline oak
Cold weather
Driver assistance/Driver assistance plus
ACC Stop/Go + Active driving assistant
Lighting package
Luxury Seating
20" style 469 rims
Adaptive M suspension
Premium package
4 zone climate
Parking assistant
Rear window shades
Harmon Kardon
MSRP: 79,600

I've only driven 60 miles or so, but, wanted to get my first thoughts out there to anyone considering these option packages; I'll update this as I become more familiar with the truck and the features.

Overall - Truck looks great in this color, the 20" rims fill up the wheel wells nicely. The rims have a little "M" detail near the hub, very subtle and cool looking. Love the way the M sport body kit looks.

Adaptive M suspension - Does not feel "hard" to me compared to the normal suspension. I haven't pushed it yet, but, I was very worried about ordering this option because I never got to drive a car with it before ordering. I'm happy I did it, especially at 900 dollars! The car feels tight and not like it's riding on the ground or it's a sports car. Just feels "solid".

ACC Stop+Go - This option is incredible. I've never, in any car, ever, had such an easy drive in traffic as with the X5 on the way home with this enabled. Just keep it in the lane and watch for red lights (which, make sure you do! It's easy to get lulled into giving up control to the car). Took about 5 minutes with this to realize that I'm going to love this for S. FL driving! Total "must do" in my opinion.

HK sound - This is noticeably better than the stock system. It's also a cheap option. If you're into music, I'd say get it. Another option that was very difficult to locate on an X5 to preview ahead of time.

Rear window sunshades - Put these up on delivery, probably won't take them down until we turn it in. A great option if you live in the heat. My Jag has them, have had them down maybe twice since I bought the car. Keep the interior much cooler in the FL sun.

Interior design package - I've done enough raving on this in other threads. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves when I put them up. It's gorgeous, leather feels great, looks great and smells great. The leather dash truly elevates the vehicle into the "near super luxury class". If this option wasn't available, I wouldn't have bought this truck. I didn't even want to look at BMW because all the ones that I had seen in the past had such a spartan interior. It's still not a Jaguar or a Aston M/RR interior, but it's in the same zip code now, it doesn't look like a stripper sitting next to my car. Thank you BMW for giving us this option!

Lighting package - There's a whole lot of buttons on this car to control lighting, I'm still trying to figure it out! The lights look great, very white and bright. The auto high beams seem to hunt a little bit (they turn off when they see street signs sometimes). I want to get the car coded to turn on the full adaptive lighting (which is why I got this package). As it currently stands, they seem "better" than the stock lights, but I'm not sure they are worth 1.9K if you're not going to code the car to enable what they are actually capable of (leaving the high beams on all the time and making a "hole" in the light for oncoming traffic). I'll update on this when/if I code it.

First driving impressions.. Well, still in the break-in period, so, I'll be taking it easy for a few weeks. Truck feels very strong pulling away from a light, a lot more "pop" than the ML350 it replaced. Much more connected to the road than the ML. However, when it rained last night, I felt more "float" in the X5 (it felt like it wanted to hydroplane) more than in the ML. Probably the wider tires, still way too soon to get a good feel for how it handles in the wet and dry. The tires are still very new, so they will certainly need some time to loose the new tire "grease".

A few random thoughts, the cabin is quieter than the ML was, no doubt about it (the ML was a 2012, the latest redesign). I LOVE that nothing gets disabled when you are driving (navigation, etc), the Jaguar and ML both disable just about everything navigation related (and the ML even some other stuff) when you're driving. The HUD is awesome, I'm going to miss that in my car. I love how it shows the info from the radio up there, that's really nice.

Oh, a small thing, but the FM radio in the car is awesome. The way it scans all the channels and makes it so you only go from one "good" channel to another (with info based on what the channel sends out) is awesome. Another thing I didn't realize but liked immediately.

The back seat, when I'm in my driving position, is surprisingly tight. A 6'+ adult would not be happy sitting behind me for a long distance. I'm used to the legroom in the "L" version of the XJ, the X5 doesn't have nearly as much room behind the first row. Sitting behind my wife anyone who's not in the NBA would be very happy. I wonder if they are ever going to come out with an "L" version of the X5. Seems like that would be something that people would like to have who carry passengers often (not me, that's what my car is for).

Ok, this is getting pretty long, let me stop there, I'll add more as I spend more time in the car!
Nice review! Congrats!!!!
Appreciate 0