Thread: X5 diesel tune.
View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #182
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

I received my chip and drove my 35d around today. You already know how easy it is to install and what it looks like. One comment about the installation - make sure you use plenty of zip ties to secure the wire loom from moving AT ALL or over time, the unprotected wire near the connectors will vibrate, crack then break. You will have a difficult time diagnosing a short in a wire. The stock three-pin male connector must bend back from its original position and could lay across a steel frame which would accelerate fatigue and failure.

Anyway, I received a good email from an engineer in Germany who corrected a previous email from a customer service person. This chip looks a one thing only - fuel. Otherwise, everything else I noted in previous posts remains the same. For me, this is a little disappointing, but it's a chip and not a tune - so what do you expect. A small benefit is that you can adjust the chip's performance up or down depending on your taste. Each click up is 1.5% increase based on a mathematical calculation/estimation, not real world. You can push the limits of this engine as the BMW software will throw a code and shut it down before serious damage is done. But why push it that far in a >$65,000 SUV? It's your decision.

I found it interesting that the engineer who answered me today stated that this chip only works under acceleration ("when you need the power") thereby "sparing" your motor. Yikes.

In addition, per the engineer, the chip's "working range" is between 1500 and 3500 rpm only. This is the sweet spot for this motor in terms of torque. Since torque is part of the HP equation, HP is increased in this range too.

I would like to comment that the people at Race Chip in the US and Germany have been extremely accommodating to me and my questions. The answers may have conflicted a bit, but they were quick to correct themselves and not oversell the product.

So, I installed the chip, left the chip at its recommended settings, and went for a drive. After the oil was up to temp, I felt comfortable playing with the throttle. My first impression was improved throttle response right from idle. In fact, for me, this alone is nearly worth the (discounted) cost of the chip. This was the economy mode too - very nice. Push the sport button and the car is very responsive for a 5000 lb SUV.

I didn't drive it too much because I didn't have time. I'll have more time tomorrow where I can see temps, pressures, fuel economy, drivability, and so on.

One last comment - I called Dinan and asked when or if they will have a "real" tune for this motor and they said there are no plans soon. They are too busy with gasser motors. That's too bad since they actually tune not only the motor, but the transmission (line pressure, shift points, etc) too.