View Single Post
      04-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

F15 M Performance Carbon Splitter/Diffuser Installed - Notes

I recently installed the M Performance carbon front splitter and diffuser on our F15 X5. I couldn't find any pertinent threads that gave much information for people wanting to do it themselves, so I thought I would contribute to the community for this purpose by offering up some notes and thoughts about the install. My notes only apply to the front splitter and rear diffuser; I chose not to get the two outer pieces of the rear diffuser.

I have attached an internal-use BMW installation guide for the M Performance carbon pieces. Pretty self-explanatory and simple to understand.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to respond to the thread and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Parts/equipment needed:
-- K2 Betalink adhesive kit
-- K2 Betalink applicator tool (makes it easier)
-- Isopropyl alcohol
-- 8 mm socket/wrench
-- Cordless drill & 5 mm drill bit
-- Wide type painters tape
-- Lots of shop rags/towels
-- Latex shop gloves

One K2 Betalink kit contains almost everything you need to install all the major components of the M Performance carbon add-ons. This stuff dries fast and hard so you have to work quickly when you start applying it. It also comes with sand paper, primer, and Betaclean which is a fantastic cleaner you can use to help wipe off any excess Betalink adhesive that oozes out from installation.

This is the applicator tool I tried to unsuccessfully source. If anyone has an actual part number for this, it would certainly help out, but the listed part number as listed stumped a couple BMW dealers I called for help. I decided to work without this tool and did the old fashioned squirt and mix on some cardboard and applied with the supplied plastic applicator. Make sure you use some protective gloves because Betalink is toxic to your skin.

Follow the directions and installation should only take you around 3 hours at most. Most of my time was spent prepping the adapters and carbon pieces because you need to sand and prime them a little in the locations where they mate.

I followed the instructions exactly, however, if there is one thing I would do differently than what is stated in the instructions is to sand/primer/prep the adapter brackets and carbon pieces first. The instructions tell you to do this to the brackets after you place them on the car, but I would do them first before putting them on.

Hope this helps some of you out!

Look at this badass quality of the carbon from BMW! Very nicely done.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW M Performance Parts Installation Instructions.pdf (1.02 MB, 3764 views)
Appreciate 6
Brarz43.50