Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I've had both - DCT and 6mt... Also had plenty of seat time in e46 and e60 with smg... The e60 had dinan stage 3 and paired to that smg - people have gotten motion sickness in that car... Side note - start up in garage, says 247 miles to empty, coast out of garage with foot off the gas completely, down the driveway, and it would say 245 miles to empty lol) anyways back to the transmissions...

SMG in the e60 was terrible... Lots of problems as well... SMG-II for the e46 was vastly improved, but still was a love it or hate it type thing and still jerky... Much better suited for the track as opposed to surface streets (IMO)...

Fast forward to e9x era and the DCT comes out... Nothing negative to say about it, let's be honest, who didn't get at least semi addicted to the throttle blipping during downshifts? My car was always in full M mode and always in "manual" mode with the shift knob... The 6mt in e9x left some to be desired and was thankful I didn't order it that way...

Having driven the f8x numerous times, I wasn't in love with it like I was my e92... Ended up pulling the trigger anyways but in 6mt... Hoping to get the feeling back, but can't get over the hydraulic steering feel so not too optimistic... Getrag tranny is flipping awesome... Albeit, kind of a lazy / dummy proof tranny when it's not in the highest transmission setting, but throws are decent, clutch feel not too heavy and remotely pleasant in traffic...

Debating ordering another one... But with DCT and Comp Pack... I miss being able to just hop in the car and cruise if I want, instead of being on red alert at all times...

My two cents - love both transmissions but more inclined to do DCT at this point... Would love to have both ideally...
Most people don't know how to drive an SMG. Incidentally, SMG II is a less advanced version of the transmission. E60/E63s are equipped with SMG III.

If you rode with someone who has or had an SMG III and they jerk the car around, they simply can't drive it well. Period. End of story. This transmission will expose a driver that simply yanks on the paddles. It is literally garbage in, garbage out. The driver has to achieve symbiosis with the vehicle. My passengers can't believe that I am shifting the car when I am tooling about in traffic. I agree 100% that it shines on the track but it can be mastered by a driver who learns to anticipate what the car is expecting the driver to do. It is always ready to turn it up to 11. As far as reliability goes, I've had the pump and a circuit board replaced. Other than that, extremely reliable.

DCT's are very cool, as well I just miss the visceral feel on WOT shifts that you get with a single clutch gearbox.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0