Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I plan to keep this vehicle beyond the warranty, as do many others. So, if BMW makes a mistake again with their maintenance plan intervals, I won't necessarily be covered. The excuse of xyz do it, so we can do it, and it'll be ok too, is rarely a good defense. There is a high likelihood that a 10k mile oil change interval could be acceptable, but with what's at stake, and BMW's past history with these issues, paying less than the price of a dinner out at a restaurant for an oil change at 5k mile intervals is a small price to pay to ensure the vehicle stays running perfectly for many years, and miles to come.

I've heard too many times in court, one expert say, I have this degree and that degree, so trust me, only to have another expert with the same set of degrees postulate, and put forth a counter argument. In the end, one has to make their own choices. There's nothing wrong with following BMW's maintenance plan, but there's also nothing wrong with being cautious after considering possible consequences, and a company's failed past history with maintenance interval decisions.
I guess we are lucky since BMW only charge "less than the price of a dinner" for oil change. I used to spend around $600 on my Porsche. Ouch! The thing is, I don't care how much I pay, I just wanna make sure my money go where it should.

Again, I am not an BMW engine expert but I am kind of oil expert, (Been doing oil and LNG business for a long time. ) and I believe in science, not experience.

But I agree with you on one thing, one has to make their own choices. I used to change oil in my SRT8 at around 3K interval LOL.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0