View Single Post
      06-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY
I had a 2011 335d that I purchased from a Chicago area dealer used with 21k on the odometer. It was used about 5k per year as we have two other vehicles. I started having problems in February with limp mode and totally cutting power while on the freeway at night. Eventually after several dealership visits including a reprogram, saying it is CBU and an indy shop saying a bad lpfp I learned it was fuel system contamination. They said there was algae in the fuel tank and the entire fuel system would need to be replaced. They quoted 18k for the entire job parts and labor. They said to involve the insurance company which I did. The vehicle ended up being totaled by them due to the cost of the repairs vs the stated value of the vehicle with 35k at the time of problems starting. I had always used a busy Shell station where diesel pickup trucks were always filling up. So unknown in my case how this happened. So I guess in your situation involve your insurance and file a comp claim. They can send an adjustor and see what happens from there.
Interesting. Chicago uses b20 gas I believe, so perhaps it is a product of a higher bio-level in the gas that caused condensation and then algae. I'm no expert...
Appreciate 0