View Single Post
      07-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
Unfortunately our pal the government is driving much of this with ever increasing MPG requirements and pollution regulations. Thinner lighter less durable materials and gobs of half baked pollution control crap. It used to be a diesel engine would run several hundred thousand miles now I wouldn't even consider a diesel engine.
True that. The start/stop function is an example...said to reduce pollution but it reduces the lifetime of batteries so rapidly that pollution from manufacturing new ones is in excess of that gas we do or dont save by traffic lights.

And the fact that more and more new cars can't carry a spare Wheel. Is it more enviroment friendly to have tow trucks driving your car back to town?

I doubt my car was just an unlucky unicorn one. BMW had this EGR issue for ages and still struggle with it. According to my mechanic, whom I meet more often than my girlfriend, you cant replace it yourself either without that BMW plug-in computer without risking damage to the Engine. So if it keeps failing/clogging up like it did, Im looking at a 1000$ cost each year. And then Another few hundred for the annual fog lights and windshields.
Appreciate 0