View Single Post
      01-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #31
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3eighteen View Post
Quick question re: your Dinan tune...I know the tune only works w/ mechanical wastegates, not electric. I've been asking dealers which of the 2 the cars have & so far all 2016's have electric. Did you have to go through this process?
Yeah, dealers won't even be able to tell you your engine displacement or at best they'll tell you it's 5.0l Don't trust them without double checking (don't trust me either).
AFAIK all 50i f15 (3rd generation) have mechanical wastegate. You can see the vacuum pot visually if you pop-up the engine cover. Same for s63tu x5m engines.
That been said electronic wastegate is just a small electric motor that opens/closes wastegate (instead of vacuum pot that does same thing). So for a flash tune - it doesn't matter as it's all controlled by DME, but for piggybacks it matters as you need additional socket plug for electronic wastegate motor - which is why Dinan asks what kind of wastegate you have. Which leads me to a realization that Dinan might have a piggyback lol instead of a flash tune.
do you know if Dinan tune that you are looking to buy has a box and lots of wires and plugs hanging on it? If yes - then it's a piggyback dude (whispers: and I don't see how it can be any better than same RC piggyback?). Just saying

Last edited by DuSh; 01-31-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0