12-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #73
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman;25
[QUOTE=1norseman;25623005
aataulla is correct that modern transmissions are much more durable than in the past, and likely will last much longer, possibly the lifetime of many vehicles, since they are not driven that hard.

Nonetheless, as Sophisticated Redneck points out, the X5 is a heavier vehicle that puts a higher load on the transmission, especially with the V8 engine. Many owners on this forum, I'm sure like to drive in a more spirited way too.

If this was a forum for "responsible" (always 5 under the speed limit) drivers worrying more about mpg, than enjoying performance, aatuala's advice would have a better fit...
You are correct that something like a 1 series (which I think they put in the ZF8 also) will absolutely go much longer between fluid changes then the 2.7 ton beasts we drive. Now combine that with the ridiculous amount of power these rigs have now. Not just 10 years ago, 0-60 in 4 seconds and 12 second 1/4 miles were considered super car territory, now you can do that in 5300lbs beasts with groceries in the back.

But honestly the worst for these transmissions is a fully loaded X5, stop and go traffic, heat of summer, this is what kills both your engine and transmission. 6000+lbs constantly accelerating, shifting and braking, no air flow, just heat and wear.

I don't have any evidence to back it up, but I would bet money that the situation above puts more wear on the transmission fluid then going 100 on the highway for the same period of time.

But back to my original point, I'm just repeating what ZF tells you. The PDF is there for all to see, change you oil from 50 to 75k. Not my words, ZF specific guidelines for our transmission.
Appreciate 0