Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I'm curious if they mess with electric motor to get to this number. I mean 87hp and 150 ft lbs jump is no joke, even at crank (which they claim it to be), especially since most tuners claim about 30whp and 40whtq gains from N20 engine only.

There are plenty of options for N20 engine which powers the 40e, but I haven't seen anyone mention that tuners have started tapping into electric side. If they are, I wonder how is drivability and how it affects the range. How longs does this power last?
Yeah, those numbers are really odd. For the xdrive35i they're advertising an extra 59 hp and 120 ft-lbs. I don't see how they could do an extra 87 hp and 150 ft-lbs on just the N20, lol. Most I've heard with the N20 is 330-350 hp total but with air/exhaust/intercooler/gas/etc. Have you tried emailing them? I've seen the N20 mods... but not sure if there would be any issues with the start/stop or with the supplementary electric engine. Just waiting to hear if any of these companies (or people) have done it on the 40e yet.

I would be surprised if they did anything with the electrics (I think it's in the transmission housing anyways), especially since they say their mod is a stage 1... even then, the battery packs are pretty small and would only be good for a handful of launches IMHO. I'm having a hard time just finding information on even if it's possible to replace the 3.5 kW onboard charger to a more standard 6.6 kW - no luck with that just in case anyone asks, lol.
I found this company from searching other forums and someone in Europe bought and got the tune then put it on a dyno and verified the claims with his runs so that's why I'm super curious about it.

It would suck not to be able to get it since their not local
Appreciate 0