View Single Post
      03-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #84
Equator185
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW Z4, BMW 328i

BMW X5 F15 - Transmission oil and Filter Change at 36K

I got my BMW X5 F15 transmission oil and Filter (pan) change at 36K. I purchased the OEM ZF trans oil and Filter (pan) from FCP Euro and shipped to my home. Took the parts to my trusted BMW indy shop and they performed the ZF transmission oil change/filter. Although the Indy mechanic didn't recommend changing the trans oil at 36K and asked me to wait to 50K. However, in the past, I experienced an almost fatal transmission failure with my Mercedes C300 (Mercedes makes their own transmission and they are junk) while climbing a hill. The Mercedes transmission failed and my whole car fell backward down the hill. Fortunately, there were no traffic and I was able to bring the car to a stop using the parking brakes. Anyway, after the trans oil change at 36K, I noticed that the shifts are significantly smoother and it functions like a new transmission. I was surprised because changing the trans oil at 36K seems premature, but the change in the transmission performance has improved as well as the overall ride quality. Just want to share this with XBimmers members as to my experience of changing the trans oil at 36K.
Appreciate 0