edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Yeah, basically same oil everywhere. There were small discrepancies some 7-8 years ago between markets due to logistics, but Castrol made product now same for all markets.

As for Porsche rig; point is that that is what manufacturers use to determine whether they will approve oil or not. And then you have a guy with roller.
Cheers good point, I did waist some time doing the meth on that youtuber numbers. And on the same oil the difference was off by %25.

Just google for some test numbers, between the Castrol 0w40, and the X-cess Gen2 5w40. Noticed that the Motul goes heavy on Calcium vs Castrol on Magnesium.

Don't' understand the difference, but so the forums are calming that the Magnesium has potential to be harsher on the metals vs calcium. Also that calcium is more affectively neutralise more acids vs magnesium.

Sorry pester, I'm not trying to question you. I'm just really curious now. This is first nice car and a BMW/Euro. My background is JDM, and drift where the question around OIL is, "Do you have any", If the answer is YES. Your are good to go. If the answer is no and but you don't plan on keeping the engine after the pass, your good to go.
So reasons for less calcium is IMO LSPI prevention. High calcium content in the oil can create perfect environment for LSPI event. That is now biggest worry with small turbo engines and 8-10 gears automatics where engine is usually in highest gear, low rpms, and then there is sudden demand for power. In large engines (pretty much 2.0ltr and up, although there are some 2.0ltr engines that experience this) is non issue. But there are a lot of small turbo engines.
I think that is what is driving Castrol to use less calcium. They also gave up on titanium. I think it was an issue titanium not mixing well with magnesium.
Appreciate 0