View Single Post
      05-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #61
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Guys, the worst imaginable disaster for me happened last night while doing this procedure. I overtightened the oil pump T45 torx bolt until it snapped . I don't know what became of me (I guess because I was working late into the night), but I kept turning the torque wrench because it wasn't clicking, I suspect the bolt was stretching. I've been wrenching for years as a hobby and I should have known better. I feel terrible. May be I jinxed myself by asking about that bolt in the previous thread .

I've found a great video on techniques of extracting a broken bolt without damaging the thread. But now I'm wondering, other than not being able to retighten the chain in the future, the pump will still work fine because the remaining piece is holding things up? What are the risks of leaving things as is? I can tackle the extraction later.

Should be a pretty easy fix, the oil pump chain tension adjustment bolt screws into a special main cap bolt (Part # 11117568243) so all you have to do is replace this main bearing cap bolt and your good to go. You will need to remove the oil pump to replace but not a bad job to do. If you don't have access to TIS for instructions on how to remove the oil pump, PM me.

As Chilled mentioned, I would not run it until you get this fixed, the oil pump will not be properly secured and the adjustment spacer can turn freely, allowing the pump chain to become loose enough to eventually fall off.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-18-2022 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
musa424.00