View Single Post
      10-27-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
NYCBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive35i 2018

AssureGuard aftermarket ext warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5_50i View Post
I bought a 2014 F15 50i with the M Sport package back in the fall of 2018. It had 30k miles on it and was bought at a BMW dealership (not CPO). The car is pretty much fully optioned (including the dynamic handling package) minus adaptive cruise control and leather dashboard. Current mileage is ~61k.

I spent a bit of time on these forums looking at people's experiences with maintenance and opted for the extended warranty, 5 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. I paid $5500 as far as I remember, with a $0 deductible. This is the list of repairs the warranty has covered so far.

Of note, the rates negotiated for warranty are much, much lower than what BMW would charge me. I know this because I oftentimes get a quote from the dealer asking to proceed, at which point I have to remind them I bought the extended warranty through them. The final invoice lists the negotiated rates. For example, BMW charges me $4750 to replace upper and lower oil pan gaskets. It costs $2400 for warranty, of which they pay $2200 and the remaining $200 gets written off as a "customer satisfaction" discount.

If there's an asterisk next to the price it's the warranty cost, not retail. Where possible I'm using retail prices though, since that's the money I saved.
  • IDrive control knob: $1200
  • Armrest: $1000
  • Driver seat bolster: $750* (replaced twice, covered by BMW second time)
  • TPMS front wheels: $540*
  • Front thrust arm bushings: $600*
  • Blower motor: $1100*
  • AC Condenser: $1700*
  • Front lower control arms: $1800* (replaced twice I think)
  • 4 ignition coils: $725* (replaced the other 4 myself)
  • Suspension airbags: $1200*
  • Driver seat control module: $1200
  • Water pump: $2000
  • Oil pan upper and lower gaskets: $4750

Total cost is $18,565 and most of these prices already factor in the warranty discount. My out of pocket cost would have probably been closer to $25,000 if all the work had been done at the dealership. So all in all not a bad deal for a $5500 warranty policy, and I still have a year to go. Auto start stop currently isn't working so the dealer replaced the battery, to no avail. From what I'm seeing online I might need a new Mechatronics unit, which costs $5000. Again I'm lucky this should be covered by the warranty.

On the other hand, I do worry about the cost of maintenance starting next year. Things on this car just break much more often than I feel comfortable with, unless I want to spend more time handling maintenance myself. I might end up with a new vehicle sooner than I had anticipated.
Anyone has experience with Assureguard aftermarket extended warranty .. think offered by Revolos through banks and credit unions only.
Appreciate 0