View Single Post
      03-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
agree with the above posts. now or soon is a good time to replace all 4 tires. there are several good options in the oem 20" sizes but i would consider the michelin AS4 as the best. many folks run the Conti DWS tire as it's a bit more affordable with still great performance.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
If you really care about safety I would invest into dedicated set of winter tires, just get a set of 18 or 19 inch OEM wheels from marketplace here or craigslist and buy a set of winter threaded tires. For you existing tires since we are almost in the spring you can probably still get few months out of it but I would replace 4 all together. Brand and model of tires do matter and budget tires cost less for a reason. DWS06 are the most popular all-season choice here, but I would rather recommend Vredestein Quatrac Pro if you don't want to get the dedicated snow tires route. Quatracs are absolutely amazing in any weather conditions, dry, wet or snowy/icy.
I had actually considered going that route. I am from Norway and I am used to separate winter and summer tires. I heard somebody call all-season tires "no-season tires", which I kind of agree with. I will look into some prices. I will also check out the Quatracs, I did see them on some tests! Thank you.

Edit: RED_Y_ if I were to go that route, what kind of dimensions would work for the F16 xDrive50i? Could I pick any of the recommended dimensions from the manual? 255/50R19 being the smallest one listed. Or could I have another setup without it adversely affecting the handling? I did find this site, seems interesting: https://www.originalwheels.com/bmw-w...x62017rims.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The best times to purchase new tires are spring and fall. If you watch the major tire chains like...you will start to see some nice sales come up soon near the end of March through April.

If you go to www.Tireack.com website...you can compare the really good tires recommended for your vehicle and wheel configuration (staggered). They do actual scientific testing on a track as well as subjective tire testing on local streets, too. You can let the site select tires for you based on some questions you asked...then compare the brands that they show to see what fits best for you.

You don't have to purchase the tires from them...but might as well use the info since it's free. Again, you can see the results from their tests in regard to wet/dry stopping distance and other specs.
Good tip, I actually saw both the DWS and the Pilot on the tire rack, but it seems there's even more info there too! Will look more into it, thank you.

Last edited by lauritzm; 03-10-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0