View Single Post
      05-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #122
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
My rebuilt engine from RK Autowerks is now on a plane in transit to Australia. I ordered the stock S63TU engine with the only upgraded part being ACL race coated rod bearings in place of the OEM bearings. I have no plans on tuning the car going forward after learning a very painful and expensive lesson.

Given the RK engine will essentially be a brand new engine, I am starting to think about run-in/break-in procedures and ongoing maintenance. I originally purchased my F86 as a demo car so did not undertake any run-in procedures. In fact, I don't think I've ever done a run-in on any car as I never buy new.

I have done quite a bit of research these past few weeks but want to get thoughts of others a few key matters.

Engine oil
Not trying to start another oil thread, but the RK and recommended oil is 5W-40. This is also within the list of oils recommended in the BMW manual and seems appropriate (and I have previously used LM 5W-40). Any Australian members, maybe Chilled like to chime in? I now Melbourne obviously has harsher colder months than Brisbane, but interested in your thoughts?

Also, should this same oil be used from Day 1, i.e., when the engine is first installed and from the very first engine start? Or is there a different oil which BMW factory uses for the run-in period?

New engine run-in/break-in
BMW user manual specifies
Up to 2,000km: Drive with alternating revolutions and speeds, but do not exceed 5,500RPM and 170 km/h.
[LIST]
At 2,000KM: Have maintenance conduct a drive-in service. I assume that [...]
Great to hear you are making progress on resolving this, light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for being an Aussie guinea pig with an engine replacement haha. Having said that I just had my rod bearings done. Been thinking about it for a while and to be honest this thread and seeing the options being so much more difficult/rare locally pushed me to get it done, so thanks? Lol
Appreciate 0