View Single Post
      05-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #7
james92se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 S Drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Also, just my suspicion, if your head gasket is bad and if coolant is communicating with the exhaust gases, shouldn't you also be dealing with loss of compression along with drivability issues? That's something to check before you go yanking that head off. It's not a big job to do the head, but it does take some deeper dive effort to get it done.
Absolutely in most cases and that's why the head gasket is the last thing I was expecting. It has absolutely no symptoms except the puddles initially when I replaced the coolant tank/cap and ever since then every drive boils the coolant and spits out the top.

I have always heard of the "no symptom" head gasket failures but never experienced one myself. Mine have always been fairly obvious. I haven't super studied this engine but I figured maybe the direct injection or turbo or something was allowing the coolant to burn up somehow without going through the oiling system.

I'm definitely still trying to find reasons to justify to myself to NOT pull the head off, but I'm also only able to work on it on the weekends and everything I do that turns out to be fruitless just wastes more time on it ya know?

Again, I do also have that coolant pump speed out of tolerance error even though the pump only has 26k miles on it - in your experience does this error indicate an actual faulty pump?

Cool to see you've done a lot of work on these - are there any specialty tools I might need if I DO end up pulling the head?
Appreciate 0