11-24-2023, 10:46 PM   #22
engineerofsorts
bimmer for life
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i (F25)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbryant View Post
Well, I didn't quite picture this as the way I make my first post on Bimmerpost….

Our 2017 X5 35i has 116,000 mi and was still on the original struts, so I figured this spring it was finally time to get them replaced. Ordered a complete set of Bilstein B6's from FCP Euro back in March and due to a rear shock being backordered, didn't have the full set ready for install until last month. Finally got my car into the shop on Monday of this week to have them installed. Picked the car up on Tuesday and I was really happy with the ride - rebound damping was much improved.

The next day after they were installed (Wednesday), I was backing out of my driveway and I heard an incredibly loud bang and the car seemed to be leaning towards the front passenger side. Threw the car in park, hopped out, and sure enough the front passenger side of the car was sitting on the tire. Had it towed back to the shop that did the install where we discovered the spring perch had completely failed. We luckily found a replacement locally and the car was back on the road last night.

This morning as my wife was driving into work in the X5, we were talking on the phone and I heard the same loud bang and she immediately said, "something happened." The strut on the drivers side has now failed in the same manner. That makes 2 spring perch failures within roughly 24 hours. Clearly, Bilstein has produced a batch of struts with manufacturing defects. Be aware if you've purchased any Bilstein's during the March timeframe this year.

I'm going to have to ask a question. Were these the front struts that failed?

From looking at the design of the spring perch, these look like Billstein's b6 rear design. B6 struts for the front have a spring perch that is able to support much more weight as it actually sits atop the strut itself.

Everyone's first conclusion is to jump to the most complex answer... but I must ask... (not even sure it would be possible but)

Did they install the rears in the front?
Appreciate 0