View Single Post
      10-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinblank
I have a 2017 x5 and have played with carplay a bit.

Carplay is indeed wireless.

Impressions:
Carplay works well, however for general driving I prefer the builtin idrive 5.

Setup:
Connect the iPhone to the car via carplay when you set up the initial connection. You can then go back to the "manage devices" and switch between idrive and carplay as you like. If you initially connect via idrive sometimes it will not allow you to switch to carplay (at least I was having this issue).

Carplay functionality:
Carplay does what you see in the videos. You get the apple icons in two rows, and home screens of apps you can switch between (just like on the iPhone). Enabling carplay disables all builtin idrive functions on the steering wheel (except volume, and vehicle controls like cruise control). Carplay itself can be used with the idrive controller, although not very well as it's designed for a touch interface. Touch works well and just like you would expect (like a large iPhone).

Telephone: Steering wheel controls will no longer display list of contacts. It will say "phone via carplay" Pressing the phone button on the steering wheel or on the idrive controller will bring you to the phone function within carplay.

Navigation: Pressing the map or navigation button the idrive controller will bring you directly to apple maps within carplay.

Messaging: works like you would image. It will let you know when you get a message. Responding is primarily done through siri.

Media:
the media button on the idrive controller brings up music within carplay. Is a simplified version of the music app from the phone.

Overall:
I generally prefer the idrive interface for normal driving. Touching the screen is a pain in the ass when driving and much more annoying than resting your arm on the armrest and having your hand naturally positioned for the controller. Steering wheel controls work better for normal driving with idrive vs carplay. For example, making a call involves scrolling, and selecting a name. Carplay involves a few more steps. Also a number of carplay apps are already integrated into idrive (pandora for example). Voice control works equally well for both interfaces.

Carplay works well for longer drives, when having access to messages comes in handy. I imagine as carplay functionality is expanded, more and better features will tip the scales in favor of carplay.

Overall carplay is a nice feature to have if you are part of the apple ecosystem, however I would not rate it as it currently is as a must have. Part of this is due to the refinement of functionality in BMW's idrive system, and part of it is due to the completeness of features offered by BMW. If I were driving a ford (or a less well optioned car) for example, I would say carplay is a must have feature and would use it as the primary interface.

Slightly off topic: Wireless charging works well. I used a wireless charging pad inserted into a std apple case. Causes a slight bulge. Sometimes people have issues with aligning the phone and wireless charger pad, however in the car I did not run into any issues when using the cradle. Every time I put the phone in it buzzed letting me know it was charging. With that being said, I still prefer wired charging. The builtin power port (with proper 12v usb) in the armrest and center console charge much faster than wireless and don't cause the phone to get hot. This is an issue with wireless charging as a whole and not a ding on BMW's implementation.

TL;DR
Carplay is nice (and wireless), idrive 5 is nicer (and generally prefer). Would rate carplay as a nice feature but not a must have in current form (may change with updated carplay features). Wireless charging works well.
Agree with everything in this post. idrive 5.0 works so well that CarPlay is a bit of step back. It works fine but there aren't shortcuts we are used to using in idrive built into it yet. I'm sure they will come. Everything works well in CarPlay but I find idrive easier. If you want everything to be voice controlled than Siri integration with CarPlay is worth it. If you like using the control knob in idrive and steering wheel controls than idrive is easier. I'm looking forward to CarPlay updates in the future as I'm sure it will eventually be superior, but not quite there yet.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0