11-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #63
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Can't wait for this to come out! Any other plans on modifications for the X platform? I assume by stage 2 you are referring to a tune? I'm looking into upgraded turbos soon but unfortunately wouldn't be able to go the Dinan route "hint hint..."
Intake and stage 2 is where we would end on tuning for the platform. Upgraded turbos on the S63TU are a slippery slope that we have no intention of going down the path for again. We experimented with the F10 M5 but every improvement needed another modification to make it work seamlessly and it ultimately led to a very pricey motor rebuild that very few would ever be willing to undertake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
By the time DINAN will move with their "releases" I think most of us will be in another vehicle lol it's insane how much money they potentially can be making if they didn't go so much for cosmetics and more for performance and price reduction, DINAN listen to your customers and make a plastic mold. You guys came in with the right price on your exhaust system and you orders were backed for months! Didn't you learn the lesson yet?!
I believe we are listening to the customers in the fact that we are even releasing an intake for the platform.

In terms of going plastic instead of CF I can certainly pass it along but my understanding (not my forte or department in the least) is that injection molded plastic molds are actually more expensive to produce by quite a fair margin. While the end product is cheaper to make and you can make them in great quantity the up-front cost is huge. Whereas with CF the upfront cost is significantly less but the per piece cost is higher and the production rate is low. Given the X5M/X6M market where it is not exactly a 335i market, in terms of units, recouping injection molded plastic costs in a mold is not very likely. Simply aren't enough of them on the road, and be tuned to boot.

Again, this is how I understand it so I may be way off base.
Appreciate 0