01-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
Well the 35d has been on the road for about two years now. I know there have been some great discussions on the various tuning chips (i.e. Racechip). So, what is the general opinion now that we have more miles on these vehicles? do you still think it is a worthwhile upgrade?

What are the pro and cons?
Here is my feedback based on a 40D fitted with RC Ultimate after 2 months. Started with stock settings as received from RC which were S1:F and S2:C. Ran for one month, no obvious impact other than it picked up a bit quicker at 1500 RPM in Comfort mode, as someone else mentioned it then fades, so no obvious power increase. Month 2 ran it with S1:F and S2:E, pretty much same experience tbh. Had a Service 2 days ago so took the RC out, main thing I noticed is the pick up at in my case 1500 RPM, I did not feel any power change with the RC out. Would I recommend, not really but maybe its because mine is a 40D. Just for interest here is what RC emailed me:
Per our phone conversation, here is the information about how to change the settings in your RaceChip Ultimate for your BMW X5 (F15) xDrive40d 230kW.

We deliver each RaceChip with the basic settings, this are the optimum ratio between more power and less fuel consumption.
On average, the RaceChip Ultimate increases the power of the engine up to 20%.

I'ts hard to tell what the maximum settings for your vehicle are without some testing. Each engine is driven under different conditions and different maintenances, which can lead to different results. Therefore, in order to reach the maximum potential for your vehicle, we will have to make some adjustments to S1/S2

With the rotary switch S2 the performance of the RaceChip can be increased or reduced.

From the basic setting "C" every other position you increase clockwise is a further increase of about 1.5%, up to the maximum position, “7” (values on the website).
If you twist the switch on the opposite direction, the output will decrease 1.5%, up to a minimum of ca. 5% at position 8.

The rotary switch S1 controls when the RaceChip will switch off.
In the basic setting"F" of the RaceChip has an average of 1500-3500 RPM. Each additional position clockwise is an extension of the activity by about 200 RPM, anti-clockwise to a corresponding reduction.

Please increase the values one at the time and make a test-drive. Increasing more than two values at once could lead into error messages.

For your vehicle the recomended performance levels are S1/S2:
Level 1: F/D
Level 2: 0/F

You can find here the dyno Graphic of your RaceChip Ultimate (Click on the graphic icon):
http://www.racechip.it/chiptuning/bm...drive40d-230kw

So you can see direct from RC there is a wide adjustment (7 settings!) of S2 (performance) although not sure I am brave enough to go much higher than
S2:E. Any other diesel users gone beyond S2:E and lived to tell the tale?
Appreciate 0