01-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
I'm not an SUV kind of guy; they're as foreign to me as the mating habits of the Golden Pheasant. However, my current loaner is an X5 xdrive 35i and I am somewhat intrigued by its tech.

Seating:
You don't "slide" into it; you climb in and out of it (I'm > 6' / 1.82m). With the seat in the lowest position, I still feel I'm sitting high and tall, which I personally don't like.

Braking: definitely feel its weight; does it inspire confidence? For me no, in fact it probably triggers me to be overly cautious.

Handling: feels like a boat and a bit floaty.

Torque: meh

Overall, very difficult for me to "engage" with the vehicle; it lends itself to laid back, zoned out type of driving style, which is kind of boring, no?

I can't imagine what a ubiquitous non-BMW SUV must feel like.
Handling depends on suspension... seeing as you had a loaner most likely stock suspension which is not that good. Many say its better with dhp or adaptive m suspension... top handling can be achieved on the M version.
Torque can be said the same with all the other bmws with the smaller engine like 328i. That being said the X5 35i doesn't feel underpowered at all in comparison.
Braking, again this car is to haul people... if you want braking that inspire confidence you buy the M version.
Seating, to each their own but i've heard more people say that once they drive high its hard for them to go low.
Appreciate 1