View Single Post
      09-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Speculations about Parking Assistant in US

I have read some posts previously about how parking assistant works and what all it controls for X5 cars in US and found different answers.

I tried it recently and want to post my experience and tips so that it is useful for others. If everyone is already clear on that, ignore this

In one word, its pretty cool. It does control steering, acceleration, braking and Reverse and Drive shifts for you. All you need to do it hold the PDC button located besides the gear shifter.

Usage & Tips:

1. You need to drive slowly with parking assistant on and it will show you surround view with sensors checking both sides. You can turn the signal on to tell which direction you are looking to park so that it does check that side only.
2. Once it finds space, it will ask you to stop and ask you to hold the PDC button for automatic parking to engage. If you drive slowly, you will be able to stop whenever it says to stop. If you move a bit further after the stop notification comes, you might find it difficult as it feels like it almost hits the car besides you. So, its better to stop whenever it notifies.
3. Keep holding the PDC and you can see it steering, accelerating and braking all by it self. If you release the PDC button or if you brake, it will stop and ask you to manually park the vehicle.

Most of the people don't find it useful as we have all the surround view cameras and its easy to do parallel park. But, its worth it to have if you have new drivers in your home and they need to parallel park.

Happy Parking
Appreciate 0