ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

Not entirely, the S3 has a different sport suspension , different diff tuning and feels like a completely different car. There is a reason it is over 12k more at base price over an A3. I had an A3 rental and thought that was straight ass just like the 320i, 330i and base non sport 335.
Go drive a loaded A3 S-line Prestige with Sport package - it is very much the same car without the engine. The price difference between the A3 and S3 is only $2-3k if you load up the A3. The competition for the Audi S models are the 135/235/335 models, not the M cars. I don't know about S3, but the A4 with sport package is the exact same suspension and wheel set up as the S4. Hell, they even have the same body kit with the A4 S-line. Slightly smaller brakes and lacking the "sport differential" (both you can upgrade in the A4), but that's about it besides the engine.

Ever since Audi started diluting things to sell more cars, I've not seen the S models as an enthusiast cars. The S4 used to be a legit M3 competitor back then. Now you need an RS5 to get the same.
I think as a whole we agree... just like 320i w sport suspension is identical to the 335i w sports suspension. The difference is that I believe the difference between an M3 and a 335i is faaaar greater than the difference between an S3 and and RS3. I dont particularly buy into the rs hype as the only difference is the 5 cyl engine, a reworked diff and slightly different suspension (all of which no one can actually specify). The rs3 even rides on identically sized tires unless you get the staggered front tires (and some say the difference in traction / handling could be caused by that). In bmw's case, the non m 3 series ride on a completely different chassis code and are designed around shitty runflat tires... the M3 has virtually everything across the board different. I'd be willing to put money on it, that if you tuned an s3, put identical tires on it and were able to retune the diff to more rear bias, it wouldnt be far off a stock Rs3... again, remember these cars are not designed to be track focused like the M cars... and that is the massive difference in philosophy and the way they drive.