Thread: Active Steering
View Single Post
      10-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

posted this on another thread then found this one, which is more to the purpose of my comment...

I'd be curious to know about the Active Steering compared to the "Variable Sport Steering" on my F30. The VSS I have not only varies the ratio, but tightens up the 'feel' (lowers boost) at higher speeds/in turns. I'm assuming since the F15 has "Active Steering" not "Variable SPORT Steering," this is a ratio adjustment only, with no change to boost. Point being, I don't think there is anything on the F15 (save maybe the //M variants, no I don't mean "M Sport," true //M) to change steering feel to a tighter, sportier feel more like the E70 and other hydraulic steering models that BMW is getting away from.

The VSS in my F30 mostly negates the change to electric assisted steering. At times, I still wish it were tighter. But when I really want to have fun with the car, it's tight like it should be. I don't think AS changes this at all, just the ratio. Seems standard steering is probably going to be similar steering to my wife's F25 X3, which has electric steering and no variable sport nor active steering option, and with AS, will just take less turn of the wheel at low speeds, but little or no change to the amount of force required (no tighter or looser wheel).
Appreciate 0