View Single Post
      06-05-2023, 08:37 PM   #1190
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Overheating

2018 F15 X5 35d 86,000 miles original owner.

Excellent maintenance and all recalls up to date including the egr cooler and hp fuel pump.

A few weeks ago I departed Cleveland for Asheville towing my 69 2002 on an aluminum trailer. Myself and this X5 are not new to towing, I also tow a 23’ Airstream. The night before I left the temp dropped to 38f and about 70 miles into the trip I got a low coolant level indication. Keeping an eye on the temp gauge I pressed on (bad idea I know) thinking the fluctuation of outdoor temp may have had something to do with it. About 120 miles later (and right by an exit) I got a high engine temp indication. I pulled off, let it cool, topped off the coolant level, burped the system the best I could and continued to Asheville without issue. When I got to “The Vintage” I dropped the X5 off at Asheville BMW for a look over. They reset the coolant level and vac bleed the system. No faults, no leaks, no codes of any kind. After the weekend I loaded up Sunday am and started for Cleveland. I made it up and over the mountains and down into TN. Stopped for fuel and back on the road again. 10 miles later it overheated again. Stopped immediately had it towed to a dealer about 30 miles away. They looked at it Monday and said it needs a thermostat and mechanical water pump. Sounds reasonable and correct. On my way Tuesday (had to wait for parts) and it happened again 120 miles away. Cooled, topped off, burped and I made it back to the dealer. They were embarrassed. Vac bleed the system again and all is normal. This time I made it 200(somewhat) miles away and it did it again. Got towed to Charleston WV where I stayed overnight. A buddy of mine drove down with his Sprinter Van. 2002 off the trailer and X5 on. I followed in the 2002 4 hours home.

I’m not coming up with any similar issues with all my searching. At best it’s something like the egr cooler (but no codes). After that it goes down hill fast head gasket, head, block? I seams to me air (boost?) is getting in the cooling system. Air bubble manifests in the pump and it overheats. Rad hoses are cool to Luke warm (they should burn you) the heater hoses go cold too.

Anything?

Buler?

I might X post this.

John

Last edited by Harv; 07-27-2023 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0