View Single Post
      04-19-2024, 07:29 AM   #41
Flytem3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Agree, why spend all that money for a problem that's not terminal on a high-mileage car?

You can:
1) spend the $ on a high mileage, fully depreciated car. Aka, you can expect to 20% of this money back, maybe less.
2) continue to drive it as you always have and just sell it whenever you want. Only out a few hundred dollars for the life of the car.

The engine doesn't fail unless you run it low on oil. Even if you do that, you'd have to spend that money then, not now.
Yeah, I understand this position and I strongly considered just continuing to drive and fill the oil. There had been a pretty rapid consumption over the last 5-10k miles and assumed it was getting to the point of being quite an inconvenience given this is my wife’s daily driver. Add in that the rest of vehicle is perfect, replacement to another vehicle would cost me significantly more $, and piece of mind of getting additional BMW warranty on the engine ultimately led to this difficult decision. Cost (with 25% discount) was not much different from indy shops and just felt more comfortable doing it with BMW. Time will tell if it was right/wrong decision but we plan on keeping the car for several years once we get it back - it’s now been at BMW Rockville for 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0