09-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I had an E71 X6 (prematurely taken from me in May ) and have an F16 on order. Since I had so much lead time between losing one X6 and being able to obtain another, I used the time to shop other cars.

Two that I looked at that were seriously in the running were the Macan and the Evoque. If I got something other than an X6 I wanted it to be smaller.

For a car in the same price range, the Macan was an awesome ride in every way Except -- their electronics seemed like they were two generations behind everyone else. I just couldn't deal with that no matter how great the car drove or the quality of the interior because the electronics are one of the things I liked best about my car. XX on the Macan.

The Evoque was also an great ride. I loved how it handled and to me, the engine seemed more powerful than the 35i that I had in my X6. That is probably because it weighs maybe 1k lbs less. Whether it had more horsepower or not, it's engine moved the car more zippy than mine. What didn't I like? The shifter was weird. It was like using the idrive controller to shift. The backup camera was kind of sucky. The rest of the electronics were behind BMWs, but not nearly as bad as the Porsche. Those were things that I would have been willing to trade off for the $20k price difference. The deal breaker for me is that the RR dealer in Austin is downtown. Oh. My. Gosh. The BMW dealer is about 5mi from my house. So yes, I'm paying 20k more for a car because I'm lazy and don't like traffic. It certainly helps that the car I'm getting is more awesome (and has a better warranty and reliability). XX on my RR dealer (not so much on the Evoque).

To sum it up, if the Porsche, RR and BMW dealers were lined up in a row 5mi from my house, I would not buy a Macan but I probably would buy an Evoque. It's way cute and the non-performance related differences to the X6 that I would be giving up were acceptable given the price difference. It seems ridiculous that I'd be buying a RR because its more economical -- who does that!?
An evoque? My wife has one.
No comparison with the quality of a BMW especial WRT quality of interior and the ride and it's got a pi** poor UI.
Appreciate 0