View Single Post
      06-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDCRUISER View Post
Guys, I can't find a conclusive method on this famous issue because people are saying tighten up the nut on the oil pump, change oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor, change oil pump , upgrade oil etc

my x5 3.0 L has 131k miles on it. recently I drove it hard to beat the red light and I think in my mind I heard 3 minor knock knock knock in the engine, and 20 seconds after the message " stop engine : check oil pressure popped up" never saw this before. the engine isn't knocking and it runs fine. I parked as soon as I was able to get it off the road which was 2 mins after the message appeared .

Today I am going to harbor freight to buy an oil pressure test kit, and I need to know what is the normal psi at idle, and what rev count should I take it to and measure the psi at high.

should I check the oil pressure first or drop the oil pan firstly because something is telling me in my mind that when I drop it , I will see loose bolts and a loose nut on the oil pump.

guys I need help, steer me and the future users who will read this in the right direction. I want this post to be the ultimate guide in the future for anyone with this problem. please don't say take this to the stealership for a diagnosis.
First, I don't think you're in the right forum as it sounds like you have an E70 and no one here has posted about this "famous" issue.

Secondly...if you heard three knocks you need to get that motor opened up now. My SWAG at it would be that you lost oil pressure and starved a main bearing, which led to spinning it.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that your oil pump simply has a loose bolt.