View Single Post
      05-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnaz View Post
A buddy of mine is a certified BMW tech. He said the most reliable engine out of the BMW lineup is the V6 (non-turbocharged.) But since that's no longer an option the current best option is the turbocharged V6. The V8s have lots of problems. But generally BMWs (Benz/Audi) are just a lot less reliable than Asian brands. He personally had a second-hand E39 M5 that he sold once it reached 10 years old because he says BMWs have a limited lifespan before it's a headache to deal with, even for a tech. He got a newer 7-series after the M5. If you're looking for a reliable car he recommends Lexus.

I feel like what he told me is just general knowledge that everybody knows. My previous car was a Lexus and it was crazy reliable. I'm pretty worried about the reliability of my F16 in the future, but right now it's just so awesome of a car. No Lexus can match the luxury and presence of this car right now. So it's kind of a trade-off.
My buddy tech said he same thing. At any given time there as at least one 550, 750, 650, X5/X6 50 at the dealer in for a full engine replacement. I honestly think those days where you can drive your BMW for 10+ years with little maintenance are long gone. There is just too much tech in them and engines are required to make an absurd amount of power with smaller and smaller displacements so things are being pushed beyond their limits more than before.

Alan