United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Ok so 35 mpg in the UK comes out to 29.14 in the US. Then deduct what maybe 10%-20% for "US" fuel emissions ?? Then I guess you "COULD" get down to as low as 23 mpg US, but still doesn't make sense that it gets the same as the X5 35D (22 mpg US combined city/highway), with getting 50% more HP & Torque ? "Obviously" it depends how you drive but I'm talking average driving / fueleconomy.us (not sticker mpg). If you floor any high HP vehicle you're going to suck up more fuel than a regular HP vehicle, that's common sense. Also run flat tires or regular, you have to compare apples with apples. In addition, I agree that BMW would be crunching #'s to see if the US market would want to buy a race SAV/SUV diesel to see if it would sell, but why the hell would anyone want less power with the same or better fuel mileage ??? Supposedly from my research the majority of vehicles manufactured for the US have more HP anyways because they claim the the US markets demand more HP, so it still doesn't make sense to me and No one has really made a great point in my opinion, but thanks for any feedback.
I don't think even the 50d would get 23mpg unless that's city and if that were the case that's still 8 more than my 50i and still most the torque! Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0