View Single Post
      06-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #28
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolidge View Post
True the salts and minerals will remain after the water drop evaporates I guess I was thinking about a wax or sealant that would prevent it from etching into the clear coat and/or keeping those deposits from sticking e.g. allowing you to wash them off.

I'm not talking about your average water spots. My brother was visiting recently and decided to wash his brand new Nissan HD diesel truck. I warned him about water spots but he waved off my warning. Afterwards he was out there trying to scrub them off all his glass with some spray can stuff. He said damn you weren't kidding. He managed to remove about 90% of them.
Go with something with a little grit to it to get water spots off once they've formed. Meguire's Scratch-X is pretty handy. It works well by hand and isn't aggressive enough to harm paint or anything. Works a treat to get scuff marks or paint transfer off your car, too.

Detailing clay or a nanomitt usually work pretty well, too.

I don't generally have problems getting water spots off glass, I usually just give the windows a rub down with the same towel I used to buff out my top sealant.

If your water is really that hard, an in-line filter might be your best best. What kind of soap are you using in your wash water? If one of those 'wash'n wax' type products, the wax included in the soap can lead to pretty heavy water spots if you mix your soap/water too rich and don't give it a thorough rinse.
Appreciate 0