04-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #7
Letsgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Thanks for the link, this is helpful.

To keep documenting in this thread, the linked thread has a number of people with the same problem who replaced thermostats and the problem didn't go away. A poster did state this however which is promising:

"For me they first replaced the MAP thermostat PN 11-53-8-635-689. That did nothing and the car still wasn't coming up to operating temp in time. The oil temp would hang at 70C on the bottom end of the gauge - even after a 30-40 min drive. I also kept getting intermittent check engine lights for P0128 and U1408 codes.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the auto transmission oil cooler (heat exchanger) PN 17-21-7-600-553. There is second thermostat on this part that went bad. That solved the problem. My car now comes up to operating temp after a 10 min or so drive on the highway - even in very cold weather.

I can't find it now, but if you search the internet you will see evidence that this is a somewhat common problem."

Also I wonder if this is true (from another poster):

"There***8217;s an extended warranty for thermostats stuck open 10 years 120,000 miles"
Appreciate 0