01-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
but I hear all kinds of horror stories about the N63tu motor. I thought it was supposed to be better than the 2011-2013 N63 but apparently its almost as faulty.
It's not. I've had both, the original N63 was exponentially more problematic than the updated N63TU, mine was always at the dealer for work. You may recall Bang vs. BMW, the class action lawsuit brought against BMW regarding the original N63. That motor was a nightmare - BMW did my valve guide seals (required dropping the motor.. I had a service loaner for a week) and it still didn't fix the oil consumption issues, so they offered to pay 80% toward a new motor under the settlement. The N63TU has no such backstory like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Should I go for the xDrive50i or am I making a huge mistake? Would it be wiser to go for an xDrive35i instead and do a bolt on tune since the N55 is a simpler and more reliable motor to work on? I'll miss the V8 sound, but I also need the vehicle to be reliable as it'll be used primarily when I'm with my family. My philosophy with my E70 X5M was to be prepared to spend about $5000 on maintenance and upkeep annually. I'd be following that same thing thing time around. Key features I'm looking for will be M-Sport package, multiway comfort seats (BMW is the best in the business at this IMO), full pano roof, HUD, HK sound system, full leather, 20" wheels and good history.
If you have your heart set on a V8, I don't think you'll be happy with the inline 6. At least I know I wouldn't have been - despite the issues with my E70 50i, I still bought another 50i.

I still think the E70 felt/drives better, more planted, had heavier/more analog steering, certainly sounded better too. With that said, I'd still take an F15 over an E70 any day. Much more modern, more powerful, just a better overall package IMO.

Worth noting, the 50i comes standard with comfort seats and H/K - those are optional on the 35i and not super common finding them together.

In reading your words posted above, I can sense the attachment you had to your X5M and how much you enjoyed driving it. For this reason, I don't think you'd be happy going from an X5M to a 35i. And maybe not a 50i either, but budget maybe dictate otherwise.

Good luck - let us know what you find/what you decide.
Appreciate 1
NYAWE60649.50