View Single Post
      10-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
and u wanting to have a way of opening the wastegates all the time, trading performance for noise, is very logical...?
I want to be able to open/close wastegate on demand (using Carly BMW app or similar wi-fi OBD dongle with a tablet/phone) - since wastegate is electronic - it's doable I think

Once again - yes, I'm aware i'll be trading performance for noise - that's what i asked for right? Illogical? Depends to whom and for what purpose. Are MPE logical? Not for everyone, but people spend $1300 to install it just for noise. Don't pretend you didn't knew

Quote:
if the noise were from the wastegates being opened, then u would be having the same identical noise when cruising at steady throttle at speed as the wastegates would be opened when not in boost.
Its not that easy. At cruise speeds wastegates are only partially open - I've seen maps on e90 platform and i don't think it's something drastically different in f15. The amount of exhaust flow volume that passes directly to exhaust matters a lot. That and maybe running rich is what makes that sound on cold starts as Marky Mark suggested (trowed me a bone)

Quote:
i think a honda with a fart can suits u better. it'll accelerate faster than ur 50i runnning with wastegates opened and be louder too
You wanna bet lol? Do you really think that a essentially NA (naturally aspirated) in that situation 4.4l V8 will be that bad? I don't think so. And once again - I'm looking for a deep growling sound that V8 produces - not a Honda fart can - big difference man and you know it
Appreciate 0