View Single Post
      01-10-2022, 09:07 PM   #54
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Edycol, I'm curious to your thoughts on ASTM D5481 vs ASTM D4741 for HTHS testing methodologies. I ask as I notice Liqui Moly uses this on their 5-40 Leichtlauf vs other manufacturers seem to favor the D4741 method. From what I can tell, D5481 appears to be more stringent.
Manufacturers play this game where they get better values using different methods. Castrol on other hand genuinely uses for example D93 instead of D92 to determine flash point as they obviously think it is better, although to general public it looks as worse result.

I am skeptical about Liqui Moly since I worked as test driver for oil blender in Europe some 16-17yrs ago. We tested a lot of oils for comparison and Liqui Moly was becoming popular, so we used it too. It had actually worse results than some of the small really unknown blenders here like INA, OLMA, MOL, and some others. I bet they improved a lot, but IMO, not on par with big names.

That being said, they are approved for some of the most stringent approvals. It is still good oil, just there are a lot of excellent oils in this game.
Appreciate 0