View Single Post
      09-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
Snowbird'sX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

2016 X5 40e high voltage battery replaced under warranty

First time posting and just want to share my experience as there’s not much information on the 40e.
Car has 75,000 miles and one hot summer day while cruising on the freeway, when I tapped on the brake the dreaded drivetrain malfunction comes on and high voltage system is shut down running on gas only mode. AC won’t work as it’s power by the high voltage system. Car in limp mode and warning of restart not possibe. Drove to a safe area and tried restart and it is back to normal. It will happen occasionally when step on the brake.

Used bimmerlink and found “21F124: Cell voltage - tolerance exceeded upper voltage limit in module 3”. Dropped off at dealer and was billed one hour labor for diagnostic 185/hr, few days later got a call from my SA that further diagnostic is needed and need me to authorize 10 hour labor as they been directed by BMW field tech to disassemble the high voltage battery and has to test each individual cell module . Was told that all will be cover by the high voltage warranty IF it turn out it’s the battery issue. Authorized the diagnostic as there are no other options.

Got called few days later and was told BMW NA has authorized the replacement of the whole high voltage battery under warranty. Parts are oversea so it ended up taking 5 weeks to get it replaced. Was only getting 9 miles on pure electric. Now is 17.
Just glad it all worked out.
Appreciate 2