clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
And if I remember rightly we were told time and time again by people in-the-know that ///M and i were different philosophies and two ends of a spectrum that will never meet.
Nonsense of M, both are performance cars.

I know a few guys handing in their M6 for an i8 and as I understand, they generally consider it to be an upgrade. They admit that the drama is gone, but at the end, the sacrifice was easy to overcome. Also since the drama lost its social acceptance.
Well in terms of it being lighter and more expensive yes it is an upgrade. It's also superior technologically and in terms of efficiency, in everything but power and displacement I think of the i8 as a top of range stunning car.
Where I am I've seen virtually no M6s on the road and only a very occasional i8 once every few months. Far more M4s and M5s about. I don't think i8 has sold in the way it was expected to.

I think the i8 would have sold better if there were a range of engines / motors.

I've heard all the arguments against and why not but that's my view. It's simple, people will and do pay for carbon mirror caps (or Union Jack ones in the mini world), carbon fibre gear knobs etc they will certainly pay for an I4 and I6 engine in the i8. Listening to people and reading over the years most of sports car purchasing is about having fun but also a fair bit of willy-waving; a 3cyl engine is like trying to do that on a cold day before you've started puberty.

Having said that, does one actually need more than an i8? Most probably not, but there's a reason it hasn't sold like hot cakes and I think the above may well be something to do with it.
Appreciate 0