03-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #1
X5guyinRI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xdrive50i

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Oil Consumption Test - Anyone Pass/Fail One?

Hi Community -

I have recently taken my 2016 X5 50i in for an oil consumption test to understand if my engine is susceptible to excessive oil consumption, per the recent class action lawsuit mentioned a few times on this forum. For those just tuning in, search the forums and also check this isley website. In my experience with the car thus far, it's required about 2 quarts of oil in about 2K miles of driving.

Oil Consumption Test - How it Works
The test requires you to go to the BMW dealership, where they will replace the oil and measure (I assume very specifically) the amount of oil in the engine. They give you the vehicle back, ask you to drive it 750-800 miles (no more than 1000), and reschedule another appointment so they can re-measure the oil level. The test is free, per the lawsuit, if your vehicle is a part of it.

Test Questions
What's not clear to me is what would be defined as "in spec", per this lawsuit. I've taken my car to a BMW dealership for the oil consumption test, and while I wouldn't expect them to outright lie about the amount of oil consumed, per BMW, the "normal" amount of oil consumed can be rather high.

Additionally, does anyone know why type of driving conditions might consume more or less oil? I'm not trying to cheat the test, but my car definitely drinks oil, and if I 'just pass' the test, I'd be pretty disappointed that BMW isn't willing to fix the issue.

Finally, has anyone actually gone through the entire process, with a vehicle impacted by this lawsuit, and either had a result that required an engine repair (or replacement), or had an oil consumption test that did NOT find the car was consuming enough oil to qualify for a repair? I would like to know your experience.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0