View Single Post
      07-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #86
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Sorry for the lame questions (new to coding, spent an entire evening reading tons of FAQs, manuals/etc. and setting up everything to work as intended), but:

1) Provided I'm not coding anything engine-related (DME ECU), is it safe to start the engine and then proceed to coding (in order not to stress the battery)? Or should I just turn the ignition on - i.e. w/o actually starting the engine?
2) Approximately how long do simple things take to code in (provided you know your way around e-sys and generally know what you're doing), like M-splash screen, video in motion (i.e. HU_NBT stuff) and trunk close via keyfob/button and some HUD turn-signals coding (i.e. HKFM and KOMBI)?
1) Either way doesn't hurt. DME is the one where you need engine on because battery does not have enough power. Realistically though, it's better to just code with the engine on - less stress on battery as you mentioned. That's what I do.

2) I would say it takes about 2 minutes per code because you have to locate which folder everything is in, but r33's cheat sheet makes things much faster. The more practice you have, the faster you will get because you will pretty much know things by heart. Here's something I wrote up with bits of help provided by many people from the forums:

Quick tips:
1) Make sure under E-Sys => Options => Settings => Program tab => Memory Requirement => RAM is set to 1024 or you will likely be unable to read BDC. Do NOT use anything larger than 1024, or E-Sys will be unable to Open, and you will have to reinstall it.
2) When you connect - you connect via your VIN using the ENET cable and your computer. The Target connection is F25 since the F15 uses similar coding to the X3. Don't select the _DIRECT target version. That's only for use with MOTOR coding/modules, which you won't ever need or use unless something is really messed up and you get an advanced coder to help you reset your motor etc.
3) RIGHT CLICK to activate each folder or read each folder or code each module - DO NOT by any means CODE Default Values or CODE a whole folder - when you right click to CODE, do it for the individual module you are editing only.

ESYS Coding steps simplified: Esys has a left window, a right window, a bottom left window where folders/files show up; it has a buttons section on the bottom right window area.
1) Read FA folder- located at the top left window - must right click and activate first and then you will be able to read it.
2) Read ECU - button on the bottom right side after you've selected the FA module
3) Read code for SVT folder in the bottom left window.
4) Code the desired module by right clicking it and selecting Edit FDL.
5) Save the editing using either the right button to save or right click to save or save via the prompt after it shows up.
6) Right click the module you just finished editing and select Code FDL.