View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #65
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Here's my update. This was actually really easy EXCEPT the wire disconnection part (at the end - this was made me sweat like crazy - I wish I did this with the AC on lol). No one really had high quality pictures of the actual wires so I took a few. I will explain in detail about the wires. Thank you for the write up and points guys - esp about the largest wire and smallest wire - it helped.

Tools:
1) Torx T-25 screw driver.
2) Small pocket knife nail filer (this is dull to avoid scratching and the point is small enough to poke in between little crevices) or tiny computer flat head screw driver: these tools will be used for the wire disconnect for ones held by the snap in clips if your fingers can't push down hard enough and to pull away the plastic cover of the fan.

Pictures:

4 torx screws removed

End result: Looks great and perfect space! Make sure when you snap in the bottom two clips in first that you also push really hard in the middle sides so they snap in - you will hear a loud snap to prove they are locked into place. Then you can lock in the top. You can also do bottom to top and finish with the middle snaps - you will realize that the top is not fully locked into place if the middle snaps haven't clicked into place.

The disconnected wires of the cradle/fan console: make sure you look at the exact size and marks of each wire so you know where to disconnect - this was the hardest part because I could not figure out from the pics in this thread where the smallest wire disconnected. 1) Smallest wire: just pull apart - the part closest to the car is the smallest piece while the fan wire is the longest piece. 2) Medium sized snap in wires: Black/Pink: this one is very easy - just push the pink button and pull apart. Blue/Pink: this is tricky - pushing the pink button didn't work for me bc it was too tight so I used the pocket knife nail filer point to push the blue square inside that tiny hold you see in the picture and pulled both wires apart - it was tricky so be careful you don't hurt yourself. 3) Largest wire (I've included pics below for the largest wire and how the handle clip mechanism moves): This has a handle. Pull the handle to the left so that it perfectly rotates 90 degrees going from up to left position. Now pull the fat bottom piece away from the top piece.
TIP: it is easier if you pull all of these wires out of the white plastic before trying to disconnect them because it will give you more wiggle room to work with. The largest wire was the hardest piece to get out of the stupid white plastic. I literally had to pull it up really hard since it's installed in a sliding in fashion.

Largest wire connection start position (locked):

Largest wire connection (movement):

Largest wire connection end position (unlocked):

If you have any questions about the wires, ask in this thread. Follow the exact instructions provided by r33, and refer to my pictures for more details to help guide you. If you need more detailed pictures, let me know.

Ben, you can add my pictures to your first post so it's easier to read for everyone. Thanks .

Last edited by opasha; 05-08-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0