07-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
milkyway
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 15/X2 28i 18/MC Conv 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
We ordered our X5 35d in October of 2014 and took delivery mid November. At the time we lived in Arizona, and we moved to the Dallas area end of March. When we moved here the X5 had around 4800 miles on it. It had zero issues up until that point, including a 1300 mile roundtrip vacation to LA as well as the 1000 mile drive out to Dallas from AZ.

Fast forward a few months. At around 5400 miles the X5 threw its first check engine light. Seemed to run ok, but we did not drive it too much. After a cycle or two, the CEL went away, only to reappear within the next 50 miles. At this point, I contacted the local BMW dealership to have it looked at. After having it for a day, the diagnostic was a faulty pre-cat O2 sensor. I was very happy for it be such a small thing. After a few days, I got the X5 back and by the end of the same day the CEL came back on. Total time spent at the dealership this first go around: 4 days.

The next day, when starting the X5, the CEL went away. And again, it came back on the next cycle and stayed on since. So I called the dealership back and told the service advisor about the CEL being back on the same day. So back I went to the dealership to have it looked at in hopes that they find something definitive and hopefully can fix it this time around. I got a call the next day stating something to do with the charge pipe to the intercooler and getting faulty O2 readings and hence the injectors also throwing a code. So now parts are on order, and it will be earliest next Wednesday or later until the job is done. Time in shop this second time: 7+ days by the time it is finished.

I really am not all that confident that this X5 will be properly fixed for the long term. We had purchased it in hopes of keeping it at least 6 years, and optioned the sucker out to $80k. This is my 5th BMW, all of the previous ones having been M cars (e46 M3 cabrio, e46 M3 coupe, e92 M3, e82 1M). I had zero issues with any of those vehicles, and not once did any of them ever throw a CEL. My wife is pissed that after spending so much money on this X5, that the CEL came on in the first place and that it keeps on doing it. She states this is perhaps something she would expect from a cheaper American or Korean car, but not on a 80k BMW. Of course I told her hey its not like more money buys you reliability, but I completely understand where she is coming from. So mainly we have been driving our 2012 Audi A6 3.0T (first year production), which has been a workhorse as it has almost 40k miles and has had ZERO issues.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their X5 35d? I am hoping they will fix it for good this time around, but at the same time I almost want for the damn thing to just get lemoned out. I likely would not want another diesel BMW product, and likely not a X5 anymore either. Would love to hear some feedback and thoughts on this. Any point in contacting BMW NA about this matter yet? Thanks in advance!
2015 35d has had CEL on 3 times within 9000 miles and less than 10 months. Each time only went off within a day or several restarts. all happened when I was on trip out of town, or in weekend. By the time I went to dealer, CEL was off. First time dealer said some faulty NOx sensor ( I believe the same for O2 sensor), not
replaced but "soft" reset/cleared it. 2nd time, I used my own bluetooth OBD II scanner, showed fault code P229f, which is with post-cat NOx sensor. By the time I went dealer, they said not finding any fault code, didn't do anything but report said still clear all fault. This time, happened 3 weeks ago on Sunday just a few days after first oil change service. The code is P220f, still with post-cat NOx sensor. I let dealer know next day to schedule the service to fix it. The dealer said they can't do anything if CEL is not on. I'm really pissed at this time. I have filed a complaint/case with BMWNA now. If they don't fix it soon, they have to replace it per the lemon law, which applies to new car first year/12,000 miles in my state.
Appreciate 0