09-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samguan View Post
Nothing beats a mini van for comfort 3rd row seating. I've sat in GL350 and it's not that big inside. Recently I rented a grand caravan, with the stow and go seating, i really liked it. Would definitely get a caravan for family road trips and things like that.

The issue with SUV is that seats are higher and often times don't fold flat like a mini van.

I would keep the X5 and buy a mini van if we have another kid, we have one kid right now so the X5 is good for now.

I agree, but as I mentioned earlier, we are a small family of 3, and I regret not having 3rd row when we want to go out on a family trips with relatives from city who don't have/need cars to get by, or being able to take my son's friends on a weekend trip together, even if I can fit an extra dad and a son or mom and a daughter, I should be fine. So as you can see, dropping X5 for a minivan, or even getting a 2nd car would be an overkill for our situation. I just want to have the option, and have the riders comfortable when necessary, but not start driving a minivan because once in a while we may get a chance to go on a road trip with some friends.

I think there are a lot of people in similar situation, except their circumstances are different. They may have 2 kids, which limits their add'l passenger room. Minivan is still not necessary, so 3rd row is "very nice to have" addition, but when it's needed, it better be just comfortable enough, doesn't need to be a leg stretching 3rd row like Escalade or Tahoe or Grand Caravan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmarker View Post
I owned a Land Rover LR4 before the X5, and the interior space is the best. Period. Full Stop. The 3rd row seats real adults, is easy to access, and has full features too - sunroof, cup holders, storage compartments, air vents. Seats fold flat into the floor when not used, yet you can store small items under the seat when it's up (first aid kit, etc.)

2nd row seats -also- fold flat to the floor unlike X5. Adjustable height suspension lowers the car which makes it easier to get in/out, especially for kids or older family members. Might also fit in your garage that way. I used it many times in older parking garages.

I am in the same position as you and LR4 space was/is unbeatable.
I lost my post, db error came up, hopefully forum doesn't post same thing several times.
Is there a way to keep LR4 low and only raise it when needed or is that just to get in and out?

Also LR4 seems like a 1000lbs heavier than X5, did it feel heavy or was lower mpg the only downside?