Thread: DIY Oil Change
View Single Post
      07-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #91
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Hello Clifton - where would the service dipstick be on the 2015 X5 35d? I'm about to do my oil change in the next month and was wondering if there was such a port or pipe to insert the tube to extract. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Couple of things I wanted to add to this thread. First, thanks to OP for posting - GOOD STUFF!

The 5,000 mile oil was very sooty to say the least. I captured some of the oil for a Black Stone analysis to know more if a 5k interval is necessary. I'm wondering if a more frequent filter only change would help in lieu of oil & filter.

Added Lessons Learned:

1.) With the diesels having the service dipstick, I used a fluid extractor and I never had to remove the drain plug. I also used the suction to get all the old oil from the filter housing. Worked perfectly!

2.) BMW oil kits come in Liter bottles. Diesels hold 6.5 liters - don't use all 7 Liters or you will get a MAX oil level warning. Ask me how I know.

3.) 2016 and newer use 0w-30. Older versions variants use 5w-30

Additional tool suggestions:

1.) Amazon - 'Motivx Tools 27mm Low Profile Oil Filter Socket'. It was $13 prime and fit like a factory oil wrench.

2.) Griot's - MULTI-FLUID EXTRACTOR ITEM# 10115. $99 and it can be used for oil, transmissions and brakes.
Appreciate 0