12-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I think it depends on what type of transmission it has, the older one in E70 was more mechanical, but the new one feels more electronic. I wish we can get more information with official details, why is the newer X5 behaving more like a Lexus than a sports BMW. Does M-Sport come with better transmission?
I forgot to mention that I have the 2TB Sports Auto Transmission in mine as an option, the same as the M-Sport has by default. Gives slightly better figures, paddles and launch control.

I suspect the reason for the differences from older models is probably something to do with efficiency, disconnecting the engine from the transmission when coasting or slowing down reduces resistance and allows you to coast further without having to accelerate, some people will call this progress but will have a lot to do with the CO2 emissions tests.

Burn less fuel in the test = emit less CO2 = UK drivers pay less taxes (road tax, company car tax), can't comment on other regions though.

Having come from a hybrid Lexus, the RX450h had more of an engine braking action than my F15 has due to it having regenerative braking to recharge the traction batteries. The brake pads lasted forever and created bugger all brake dust as they were barely used.
Appreciate 0