View Single Post
      04-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
2016sx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
That is not true. I've had 3. This would come up in the forums once in awhile. There was never any software that limited the power that needed to be "unlocked". The only thing close to that was that launch control was not enabled until around 1200 miles on the odometer. And that happened automatically. There was nothing the dealer did. No secret switch to be thrown or box to be checked in the software. There was no power limitation. The only thing keeping you from exceeding the guidelines and going full throttle, or revving too high, or going too fast too soon was owner restraint. But you couldn't enable launch control. So, even if you got your 1200 mile service done early (around 900... long story), you still couldn't get launch control to enable until it was good and ready, after 1200. The one I have now enabled for the first time at 1250 miles. And I was nowhere near a dealer when it happened.
btw, I went for a test drive in a Z4M one cold morning. Around 180 miles on the odo if I remember. SA wanted do drive first to get it out of the garage and get out to where he would let me drive it. I got in the passenger seat, buckled up, he got in, buckled up, started it and started rolling. 10 seconds later he was at the lot entrance/exit. He nailed it. Full throttle, redline, shift to second, full throttle, redline, shift to third, full throttle, redline. It was like 40 degrees out, 9am, the engine barely had oil in the top end, let alone any kind of warm up. That's when I swore I would never buy a car used for test drives or loaners, no matter how good the deal. I've ordered all my cars with strict instructions that they aren't to be used for test drives, or even driven by anyone at the dealer other than what's necessary for the initial safety inspection and prep. So, to make a long story short, no, there is nothing stopping the dealer or anyone from banging on it with only 5 miles from minute one.

Back in 2000 was looking at a Corvette.. The so called vette lead
salesman went lets take it for a drive. Fired up in less than a minute
was hitting the on ramp in front of the dealership. 100mph, off the
exit ramp, hit the brakes. Going now that is stopping power. Next
we turn down a secondary road, 130 over some RR tracks and hits
the brakes, goes your turn. I was like this guy is crazy. Not on this
road, lots of sides roads, subdivisions. I put up to about 85 than
took another road. knew was safer.

This car had 24 miles on the clock. Told some about it at the vette
club. Seems you need to be easy on a vette for the transmission
to break in, brakes not, overheating like that right off the start.

Did I buy the car no. Went to another dealer, ordered a 2001 and
made the comment no one is to drive this car. Told the story
Appreciate 0