View Single Post
      09-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

sunroof popping noise

ran into a problem with the sunroof, im gonna just start off by saying it is not the clicking noise experienced during acceleration with the sun roof open as seen here:

my problem is pretty different from the above video. my issue is more of a bubbling/popping sound coming from the sunroof area. my car is completely stationary so vehicle speed does not affect the noise. now what affect the noise is the HVAC fan speed. the higher the fan speed setting, the louder/more frequent the noise. weather the HVAC is on recirculate auto/manual/off mode does not affect the noise, again only the fan speed does. this noise also only happens when the car is completely sealed, meaning doors closed, all windows up, and sunroof closed. once the seal is broken, re: windows opened, or doors opened, the noise stops. i have captured a few videos where u can hear the noise and me playing around with the fan speed to affect the bubbling/popping noise. the noise is coming right above the head area of the driver and passenger.

part 1 of the video is of the drivers side corner, u can see water dripping if u watch closely, not entirely sure if its supposed to do that but there is a drain area right below it so i guess thats ok

part 2 of the video is of the passenger side corner, and then moving to the drivers side corner, in this video u can hear 2 distinctive bubbling/popping noise from both sides

part 3 of the video is a shot of whats under the sunroof with it opened, notice the drain hole. i suspect it "may" be blocked causing water to build up there and when the cabin air pressure is higher than outside (due to high fan speed settings and the interior being completely sealed) the air pressure pushes past the water blockage and "pop", kind of like when u use a straw and blow into a glass of liquid, one bubble at a time

this is really really weird... not impressed... and knowing how imcompentent the dealers are around my area, i dont have faith in them fixing the issue...