F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

More of the steering column blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM1949 View Post
My 2016 X5's steering wheel stopped telescoping in and out. Doesn't retract when car is shut off and column switch just clicks when pushed or pulled up. The tilt works fine. I've heard that some people have found metal bits from the gears inside the column. Also have read that the motor can seize up and a couple of guys got it working by just banging hard on the wheel several times. The dealer wants to replace the steering column for $4,000! The position is fine for me where it froze. I'd just like to find a better way to get it working again for less than 4K! Anyone have any comments?
That’s what mine, and most of all the others, did when it failed. Warranty took care of mine, replaced with new not re-manufactured. Either you dig in and repair it yourself or find an Indy that will save you some $$$. Be glad it’s stopped in a position you can live with.
Good luck.