View Single Post
      05-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

My X5 has a little over 4k on it and I have been driving it since Jan 7, 2015 so needless to say living in Seattle I notice these things when trying to enjoy the weather on my drives. This usually happens above 40 mph and onward to 70 as that's the limit

I have brought this up to my SA at BMW NW in Tacoma, WA. He stated he was going to submit a form to BMW NA stating that the shop foreman, himself, and I had taken my X5 out for an extending drive and this problem persisted. Then we also took the same X5 M Sport they had on the lot (35d and 50i) on an extended drive and resulted in the same issues my X5 was having.

So if you are having similar issues as the ones I have listed below please talk to your SA during your next service visit and make them take this note down in the system. As when BMW takes action on this issue your VIN will be one of the firsts to receive the fix if ever released by BMW.

1. Opening driver side window (US) results in a whistling noise which when using your hand as a buffer to the side mirror housing the whistle is eliminated.

2. Opening passenger side window (US) results in a whistling or thudding noise which when using your hand as a buffer to the side mirror housing the whistle and thudding is eliminated.

3. Opening panoramic sunroof to slide setting 1 the windscreen mesh lets in a whistling noise which when using a solid block of polyurethane (What older BMWs used to have) the whistling is eliminated.

4. Opening panoramic sunroof to slide setting 2 (Fully opened) the windscreen mesh whistle is still present, and the luggage cover starts to start thudding in the trunk in its closed position at a very high rate of speed as the vehicle is sped up and the noise level is so unbearable you cannot hear the passenger sitting besides you.

5. Opening rear windows all the way down produces a low pitch whistle/"wob wob wob" oscillating sound starting around 40mph that make you want to cut your ears off. -Matt's addition

My conclusions have been BMW's side mirror housings seem to be the main culprit for the front windows whistling and baffling wind. The sunroofs pop-up wind screen mesh needs to be the old styled plastic piece so no whistling will occur. Finally the luggage cover needs a stronger magnet or a latch so it is not to be shaken by wind when enjoying the weather of a beautiful day when in its closed position.

Taran.j

Appreciate 0